Rothenberg via RCP
Current school of thought, along with my own thoughts on Dems' Senate prospects for 2008:
- Virginia- Switching Warners, switching parties
- Colorado- Allard is retiring, and Udall is the heavy favorite
- New Hampshire- Assuming former Gov. Shaheen runs, she will easily defeat Sen. Sununu
- Nebraska- If former Sen. Kerrey runs, he is the favorite by far
- Minnesota- If Dems can nominate someone other than Al Franken...Coleman loses.
- Maine- The war is unpopular and could carry Sen. Susan Collins out.
- Oregon- No top tier challenger to Gordon Smith and he is still behind.
Possible GOP Pickups
- Louisiana- Sen. Landrieu would be a victim of changing demographics post-Katrina, but still no top notch challenger has emerged.
- South Dakota- If Sen. Tim Johnson, who had a stroke last winter, runs he wins. If not, it will likely be Governor Rounds in a romp.